Hood Excavation has been installing septic systems for over 3 decades, and we've seen and done just about everything there is to see and do on the subject. From severely sloping property to sizing large & small systems, you can leverage our experience to make sure your installation is done right.
When it comes to a septic system, most of us just want it to work so we can go back to forgetting about it. In reality, a well designed and installed system should be worry free for a long time as long as it is maintained properly.
To get a quote on a new septic system installation sized for your home or building, call Phil Hood for a free consultation.
A septic system is a waste water treatment plant, but on a much smaller scale than a city's. Septic systems are for a house, commercial building, or multifamily dwelling that isn't connected to a municipal treatment facility.
A septic system is installed with the goal of treating waste water to remove materials and bacteria before the liquid moves into the ground, & eventually the ground water supply.
The septic system generally consists of 3 main parts: the Septic Tank, Distribution Box, and the Leach Field.
The septic tank usually has 2 chambers, and its sole purpose is to separate and break-down waste. It allows solids that won't dissolve to fall to the bottom (the "sludge" layer), and floating wastes & bacteria move to the top (the "scum" layer), so the middle layer (mostly liquid) can flow through a hole with a filter and on to the next component.
During its journey through the septic tank, about 95% of human waste and toilet paper will be broken down and turned to liquid to be sent to the distribution box. The other 5% is a tarry sludge that settles to the bottom of the tank.
The sludge layer will build up over time and should be pumped out every 3 - 4 years. Otherwise there will be less room for wastewater to separate and break down, which means it will move through the tank too quickly, and start clogging the leach field with sludge. This eventually ruins the system if left unchecked, and is an expensive repair.
The second component is the distribution box. It sits between the septic tank and leach field to help ensure that separated wastewater is evenly sent to each leach field chamber, so as not to overload any one.
The leach field is a series of chambers with open bottoms that provide enough surface area for the separated waste water to come into contact with the ground and "leach" through it, allowing soil and microbes to remove and break-down those ingredients which we don't want to enter our water table.
Waste water that enters a septic system includes waste from toilets, drain water from sinks, baths, dishwashers, clothes washing machines, and garbage disposals.
Today's sanitation standards consider any water that touches the skin as wastewater, and must be treated.
We sell and install the AdvanTex® Wastewater Treatment Systems for customers who do not have enough room on their property to install a traditional leach bed. These models are efficient, technologically advanced, ecologically sound, compact, and "smart" (meaning they offer the ability to email the owner with status updates and alarms).
In some parts of our service area the water table is too high to bury a series of traditional leach field chambers. They would become water-logged and not work correctly.
In this situation a Mound System will be built, which adds a mound of soil, sand, & crushed rock on top of the ground. Wastewater from the septic tank is pumped up to the top of the mound and it filters down through the materials. The point is to add an environmentally safe amount of filtering distance between where the effluent (wastewater) starts percolating through the soil and the groundwater supply.
The Art of a Well Dug Hole.
Septic System Work: Placing the Leach Field Chambers.
Backfilling a Septic Tank & Leach Bed with Pump Indicator Light
More detail provided on the Services page.
Questions? call Phil Hood.